Hair Ideas: Our favorite Holiday Hair Accessories


Tis the season for tinsel and all things shiny and bright, which of course in the beauty world means it's the perfect time for hair accessories. This winter there are options to suit everyone's tastes, and every occasion, from demure pins to standout headbands that will add shine without leaving you looking like a Rockette (although I wouldn't mind those legs). Here are our favorites: Dauphines of New york The Olympia. I will definitely be adding this headband (shown above) to my collection of winter whites. The mix of embroidery and beads give it a vintage quality and the bling that makes it fancy enough for cocktail hour, but still casual enough to glam up a cashmere sweater. Plus, the elastic strap means it's super comfortable.
Jennifer Behr Crystal Fan Bandeaux. You can wear one of these up on the crown of your head or right at the hairline for a '20s flapper vibe. It comes in five glimmering shades, and while I'm loving the black, the champagne shade has an antique charm, and crystal feels the most festive for the season. Goody Treasured Jewels Bobby Slides. Decorated bobby pins are an easy, quick way to add some shine to your hair during the holidays without having to do a lot of work. You can use them to pin back face-framing pieces or keep a loose chignon in place. I love the art-deco feel of these square-cut stones, which come in three winter-appropriate shades of silver, black, and violet.

Emi-Jay Satin Bow Hair Ties. When i was little I used to stick the bows and ribbons from my presents into my hair and wear them for the rest of the day. These silk bows remind me of my childhood experimentation without looking too cutesy. The deep jewel tones have a luxe feel and the frayed edges give them a bit of an edge. I like to tie them into a messy, low ponytail, but you can also try them on a long braid. Belle Noel Pave Hair Chain. Part rock 'n roll, part Renaissance queen, this multi-chained clip-in accessory is like hair jewelry (and to my surprise is from Kim Kardashian's line!). It's a cool alternative to a headband and there's a bit of a surprise when you turn around to reveal a cascade of subtle bling in your hair. You can find these online at shopbop.com, but you might also try out the look by repurposing a long chain necklace secured with bobby pins that match the color of your hair.
* DJ Chuckie goes from cutting hair to spinning records, including Saturday at Marquee
Many successful musicians toiled at day jobs before they worked their way up. Brandon Flowers was a bellhop. Jack White was a furniture upholsterer. DJ Chuckie was a barber. Chuckie -- the Dutch House DJ who plays club Marquee on Saturday -- swears he was follicularly gifted. "Before I got my break, I was barbering my way to the record stores. I was cutting hair. With the little money I made, I bought records.
"You gotta hustle," he says. "But my profession was music, so the moment I could drop it, I dropped it." He still gives himself trims on the road. "As a matter of fact, one time I did an interview while I was cutting my human hair weave," he says. There actually is a point to this day job story. Chuckie -- Clyde Sergio Narain, 33 -- sharpened his work ethic in the barbershop, then took that ethic with him into music to forge a huge career. The DJ-producer has remixed songs by Rihanna, Bassment Jaxx, Enrique Iglesias, Lil Jon, Pitbull and fellow DJ-producers from David Guetta to Sidney Samson.
A native of South Africa who moved to the Netherlands, he has spun Dutch House music at Marquee throughout 2011. In 2012, he is contracted to return as a resident DJ at Marquee and Marquee Dayclub, plus a few Tao gigs. He loves Vegas for the energy, high-quality sound systems and the occasional Vegas-only attention to detail, such as women rolling around in rose-petal bathtubs at Tao. "You don't see that anywhere in the world," he says about those bathtub girls.
He says DJs also feel free late at night/early in the morning to spin the music they themselves want to hear. "Everything is a big blur after 3 o'clock," he says. "That's why DJs have fun. We get to play whatever we want after a certain time because people will enjoy it." Chuckie was a headliner at this summer's Electric Daisy Carnival. He liked it so much, he wants other DJ events to relocate here, too. "I think they should move the Winter Music Conference to Vegas," he says of the weeklong WMC in Miami every March. "Vegas has got the outlets, the pools -- everything," he says. "Or, Vegas should start their own Winter Music Conference. The possibilities are endless."
Chuckie's own personal goal for 2012 is to produce more mainstream songs for pop radio. "This year, I was more in the clubs and not really on the radio, so" he says. "I'm gonna have fun with it, and just try to be more on the radio." He's got a head start with his poppy new single "It's Not You (It's Me)," a collaboration with T-Pain and Pitbull. This weekend, since he's spinning late Saturday at Marquee, this means his gig will turn into Christmas morning, come midnight. It will be his first Vegas Christmas, and without his family. His kids are flying to South America with their grandma for the holiday.
"I'm going to be lonely without the family," he says. "But the good news is I'll spend all of January with them in the Caribbean." Wow, a month in the Caribbean. That's how you turn a good work ethic into tangible rewards. Related article:curly hair weave

0 comments:

Post a Comment